Introduction
When I first started this blog, or
rather a blog like this under a different name, I struggled
immensely. I kept trying to think of the catchiest name, a cool and
funny writing technique and a concise argument with loads of research
behind it. All of the things mentioned are no doubt important but I
had forgotten the most important part: me. I became so focused on
those details that I forgot this blog's purpose is a creative and
reflective space for me to jive about sustainability and the
environment. I felt like I got all dressed up for prom but forgot who
my date was or worse yet forgot who I was. That's exactly it: I
forgot that I want this blog for myself to clarify my own convictions
about sustainability and the ecological crisis rather satisfy others'
demands about what I should write about and how it should sound. My
hope is by being true to myself, readers will follow.
So on that note, let me introduce to
you Rising Resiliency [resiliency rising switch if need]. I plan to
use this blog for a trip I am quite excited about. My friend, Sasha
Merigan, [solvent green blog link] and I plan to visit sustainability
projects of all different sizes in Asia in order to observe the
growing movement for clean energy, local and organic food and a
responsible use of our planet's natural resources. To put it simply
we want to bear witness to the wider global movement of sustainable
living. The plan is to leave Taiwan during Chinese New Year and head
to China, South East Asia and India to get a close look at
sustainability projects ranging from food, energy and transportation.
I am realizing more and more that this will be the trip of a
lifetime. I am both excited and terrified. To combine my love of the
environment and travel seems like a dream come true and even more
surreal to make definitive plans to carry out this mission.
I am hoping to accomplish a lot with
this trip. The older and possibly wiser I become I realize that
making connections with people no matter where they are from are
invaluable. To treat people with kindness is a philosophy I adhere to
and I think it will pay you back in the long run. I foresee having
international connections a boon to help other 'bioneers' in their
missions but also as a good measure and mode to share information and
inspire one another. I hope that through this trip I can find myself
later in a career in sustainability where if I am facing a problem I
can call on the global community of the environmental movement for
advice.
I hope to acquire hands on skills and
knowledge of organic gardening, permaculture, rainwater catchment,
water conservation, wind power, solar and biogas energy. Recently it
has begun to bother me with how little practical skills I have in
creating a sustainable future. It was thing to talk about the desire
and the imperative for a more resilient future but it is quite
another to have the skills to bring that future closer to a reality.
I want to possess the skills that can help communities achieve that
goal. I think experience is one of the best teachers and the trip
will be designed to add experience and exposure to 'green' projects.
Finally, on this journey I ultimately
hope to find an almost inexhaustible supply of hope and inspiration.
I believe we live in troubling times. Corporations have never been
more powerful. A corporation's sole purpose is to profit. What's
worse, the framework that our economic model operates (continual
economic growth) is nearly incompatible with our finite planet and
its resources. We are already seeing the warning signs with changing
fuel prices and climates. I will resist the temptation to go in depth
about a plethora of disturbing topics of desertification,
deforestation, peak oil, over-fishing etc. and instead I would like to
spread the message of hope. I want
to illuminate the fact that it doesn't take much capital or
resources, sometimes none at all, to lead a more resilient and
environmentally sane lifestyle. In places all over the world,
individuals and communities are finding that small scale,
decentralized sustainability projects are far better at confronting
problems caused by a world of shrinking resources and changing
climates. In China, there is an enormous effort under way to power
homes with biogas technology. A medium sized biogas digester filled
with decaying organic material, essentially methane, can provide 5-6 homes with all of
their water heating and cooking needs. Throughout rural India, we are
seeing a reemergence of the johad,
a traditional system of catching rain water to irrigate crops and
provide water for the community. It is small scale community
organized projects like these that defy the assumption that
developing countries require massive infrastructure to improve
livelihoods. Stories such as these give us hope. Stories like these
make us stronger.
As far as fairness
and balance is concerned, I think my partner and I both agree that
there is merit in looking at all sustainability projects and projects
that call themselves sustainability. There is an enormous amount of
misinformation about what technology is best and most sustainable. We
will do our best to look at as many different types and sizes of
projects. My partner makes more of an effort to remain neutral and
likes to ask “Does sustainable living make sense or is it just
hype?” Most often times his conclusions are yes and why haven't we
done this sooner. However, I will make no pretense about my advocacy.
I will be an outspoken advocate for a more resilient future not only
because it makes sense but because our very survival depends upon it.
Henry David Thoreau couldn't have said it better in Walden, “If I
seem to boast more than is becoming, my excuse is that I brag for
humanity rather than for myself; and my shortcomings and
inconsistencies do not affect the truth of my statement.” (39)
No comments:
Post a Comment